If you have specific learning difficulties or a neurodivergent disorder, like dyslexia or ADHD, we may be able to help you take your training programme and/or final exam.
What do I need to do?
It may take several months for some reasonable adjustments to be made for you, so you should speak to your coordinator as soon as possible.
What will Directors Languages do?
Your coordinator will:
- ask for full details of your learning difficulty or neurodivergent disorder
- make the arrangements you need to take the training
- recommend a specialist trainer
You must give your coordinator a report about your learning difficulty:
- prepared when you were aged 13 or older
- including details of the degree of your learning difficulty and the tests which were carried out
- written by a fully qualified educational, clinical or chartered psychologist, or other appropriately-qualified specialist assessor.
What special arrangements can I ask for?
There are lots of different options – choose what you need from the list below.
1. Specialist trainer
Your coordinator will assign one of our specialized trainers to your course, however, it may take longer than usual to set up your programme
2. Extra time
You may need extra time to complete a final exam paper (e.g. if it takes you a long time to read the questions or texts, or write your answers).
You can normally ask for an extra 25% of the normal time for a paper. So, if a paper takes one hour, you will get an extra 15 minutes.
Your coordinator will explain the exam centre specific requirements.
3. Using your own computer equipment/software
You can bring your laptop to training sessions, or take your training at your preferred location to make use of your own equipment to help you with writing practice.
4. Materials styling and coloured overlays
Online training materials on our Learning Management System are available to be styled how you best consume content. You are able to customise the website’s colour scheme as well as the text, font style, size, colour, and spacing.
Print materials can be used with coloured overlays if you use them.
5. Flexible scheduling
Book lessons when it’s convenient and re-arrange when you need to.